Chicken Kosha/ Bengali style Chicken Curry
Chicken Kosha is a Bengali Specialty chicken semi dry curry or sometimes we turn it into Murgir Jhol/ Chicken Curry. Here chicken is cooked in ginger, garlic, onion, and tomato gravy with some Indian spices. This is an every Sunday recipe in every household in Calcutta. There is much variety in cooking process of Chicken Kosha. This is my version of Chicken Kosha Recipe. “Kosha” means Braise. How perfectly you braise the masala and chicken. You become the master chef of cooking Chicken Kosha. Less water used in Chicken Kosha but sometimes we turn it into Chicken Curry with increase the quantity of adding the water in it. For details recipe please visit my YouTube channel J
600 grams Chicken with bones
2 tbsp. ginger and garlic paste
3 tbsp. curd
1 big tomato paste
1 onion finely sliced
1 ½ tsp. turmeric powder
1 ½ tsp. chili powder (Kashmiri/mild)
1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
1 tsp roasted coriander powder
1/3 tsp garam masala powder
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds/ whole garam masala
3 dry red chilies
½ tsp fenugreek seeds/methi
½ lime/ lemon
1 tsp. sugar
Ghee/ clarified butter
1. Clean and wash the chicken.
2. Marinate the chicken with lime juice, salt, sugar, ginger garlic paste, yogurt, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chili powder. Mix it thoroughly. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Microwave potato pieces for 2 minutes or lightly fry potato pieces.
4. Take a pan and heat the mustard oil smoky. Then add tempering- bay leaves, cumin seeds, dry red chilies, and fenugreek / methi seeds. Saute it until it gives nice aroma.
5. Then add thinly sliced onion. Fry it until caramelised.
6. Then add ginger garlic paste. Give them a quick stir, and then add all the remaining spices- turmeric powder, red chili powder, roasted coriander powder, roasted cumin powder.
7. Mix everything together. Sprinkle some water or else spices can be burned.
8. After 30 seconds, add tomato paste and incorporate everything. Braise the masala well it can take 3-4 minutes in medium flame.
9. Cover and cook it until the oil leaves the side of the masala. Check in between.
10. Then add the well marinated chicken. Coat the chicken with masala. And braise “Koshano” the chicken with spices very well for 6-7 minutes in medium to medium high flame.
11. Then add the potato and coat the masala over potato pieces.
12. Add required water to it, you adjust the water level but in chicken kosha there is less water used.
13. But I have added 1 and ½ cup of water to making “Murgir Jhol”.
14. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
15. After 20 minutes check the chicken is cooked or not. Then turn of the stove.
16. Sprinkle garam masala powder and dollop of ghee/ clarified butter.
17. Serve it with some plain rice, roti or paratha. Enjoy